Thursday, July 1, 2010

Arm studies

Today was a great sketching day for some odd reason. I was working my way through Stephen Rogers Peck's Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist and really seemed to "get it" for some reason. I've taken most my drawings a bit further than his brilliant pencil strokes, which speaks to how well he is able to convey information with an economy of effort. The book definitely takes a bit of study to grasp some of the fundamentals he's trying to convey but I feel that it is simply the best book around to truly understand the mechanics of the human body.

All of the drawings were done with a 0.5mm mechanical pencil with B lead. Other than a bit of rearranging of the pieces for a more attractive layout and some desaturation to get rid of a color cast, the drawings are unmodified. The sketchbook is Canson's Field Drawing book in 9 1/2" x 12".

No comments: