Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mammoth Skull Sketch

This sketch was done recently after perusing through my photos from a trip we took to Cincinnati a few years ago. During the trip, we visited the Museum of Natural History & Science which resides within Union Terminal (the old Train Station in Cincinnati which is a beautiful building to visit on its own).

There is a full-size Mammoth skeleton in the atrium of the museum that immediately captured my attention. The lighting on the skeleton was brilliantly done by the staff at the museum and it lent itself nicely to a small drawing.

I've been working on refining my sketching technique based on a new book that I'll be reviewing once I finish it.

The drawing was done on a new paper for me, Strathmore's Field Drawing Book. The sketch is approximately 6" x 4 3/4" and was done primarily in HB with a bit of 2H and 2B in spots.

No comments: