Thursday, May 27, 2010

Artist's Choice Award!

"Grizzly Study"
Artists Choice Award
2010 Celebration of Missoula Artists



To kick off the good news recently, I had a drawing accepted into this year's Celebration of Missoula Artists at the Dana Gallery in downtown Missoula. I submitted three drawings and "Grizzly Study" (pictured above) was juried into the show. Being accepted was a huge honor and helped buttress my confidence that pencil drawing has a place among the wonderful art in this year's show. This isn't the end of the good news, however.

My wife and I have recently returned from a 5-day horseback trip along the Rocky Mountain Front and I received an e-mail from a friend asking why I wasn't at the reception at the Dana Gallery. She went further to say that I had won an award at the opening. Stunned, I replied to the e-mail with questions and decided to check this rumor out myself the following morning.

We arrived at the gallery the following morning and I was amazed to see a blue ribbon hanging on the frame of my drawing. I'm sure the look of disbelief and general bewilderment helped the staff conclude that I probably needed some kind of explanation of what I was staring at. It turns out that my drawing had been chosen from among the 114 artists accepted into this year's show for the Artists Choice Award.

It might seem strange, but I'm sort of glad that I wasn't actually at the opening night reception because I would have probably fainted. I am completely overwhelmed by the recognition the piece received and am honored to have a pencil drawing selected from among the wonderful pieces in the show. I'll provide details on the First Friday reception in the next post but couldn't wait to share the news!

No comments: